Cooking tips: Barley mixture can be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before spooning into Portabella mushrooms. Instead of grilling, bake Portabella mushrooms in a 350 F oven for 8 minutes. Turn over, fill with barley mixture and bake 5 minutes longer.
Recipe and photo provided with permission by the National Barley Foods Council. For more barley information and recipes visit www.barleyfoods.org.
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 small white mushrooms, finely chopped
5 large basil leaves, finely sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium zucchini, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup low-fat Italian dressing
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
8 large Portabella mushrooms, stems trimmed
In small pan with cover bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil. Add barley and return to boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 35 minutes.
3. In large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add white mushrooms, basil, garlic, zucchini, onion, bell
pepper, salt and pepper. Cook 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in cooked barley.
5. n bowl combine dressing and mustard. Brush Portabella mushrooms with dressing mixture.
6. Grill over medium-hot coals, top side up for 8 minutes.
7. Turn Portabellas and fill with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup barley mixture each. Grill 5 minutes longer.
8. Serve extra barley mixture on the side.
Grilled Portabellas with Barley and Basil
Serves: 8 servings
Amount Per Serving:
% Daily Value*
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.