Orange Barley Pilaf
Click here to return to the Rice, Grains, Beans And Stuffing-Grains page
Recipe provided with permission by the National Barley Foods Council. For more barley information and recipes visit www.barleyfoods.org.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In medium saucepan with lid heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and barley; sauté 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- In the meantime, combine remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, grated orange peel, orange juice, orange pieces, raisins, green onion and black pepper; stir to blend.
- Toss with cooked barley and keep warm until ready to serve.